Ten years ago, on June 6, 2011, Twitch (formerly Justin.tv) went online and changed the gaming world in one fell swoop. Watching “Let’s Plays” became mainstream instead of a niche hobby: gamers flocked to Twitch to watch others play, laugh and suffer with them. Today, the Twitch business is booming and the most successful streamers earn millions with their broadcasts of Minecraft, Fortnite and many other games. We introduce you to 5 German streamers that every gamer should have seen by now:
- Gronkh: The veteran of German Twitch streamers is actually Erik Range and has been providing his community with videos for ten years, first on YouTube, then on Twitch. His main characteristics are his humor and his tenacity: He plays through the games from start to finish – and his viewers experience all the highs and lows as a result. In the beginning, he mainly played Minecraft, but now he also plays Valheim or Medieval Dynasty.
- Papaplatte: Kevin Teller scores especially with his active chat contact to his fans. His emote “papaL” was already at number 13 of the most used emotes on Twitch (today at number 25). In addition to his humorous chats, he also plays various games such as Mario 64 or Hitman 3. Sometimes, however, he oversteps the mark and responds to photos and videos from fans that are not allowed on Twitch. As a result, Papaplatte has already been banned several times.
- HandOfBlood: Maximilian Knabe has also been around for a long time, entertaining his fans via YouTube and Twitch with gaming streams for which “Hänno” also likes to appear in full costume. His games of choice include PlayerUnknown’s Battleground or his favorite game League of Legends, and he also has no problem fulfilling fan requests on the fly.
- Rewinside: Sebastian Meyer is most notable for his expensive Twitch stream setup, which he himself describes as being worth 100,000 Euros – and, of course, for his infectious laugh and occasional freak-outs. He also entertains his followers with Let’s Plays of Minecraft, GTA 5 and Pummelparty, to which he also invites his colleagues like the aforementioned Papaplatte.
- Trymacs: A good friend of Rewinside is Maximilian Stemmler, who is best known for his Pokémon streams, but also likes to play Rust, Call of Duty or kid-friendly games like Minecraft or Fortnite. Mobile games like Clash of Clans or Clash Royale are also part of his portfolio. Together with Rewinside, Trymacs even got on TV in 2019 for the quiz show „Wer weiß denn sowas?“